I’m sure you’ve heard the saying “when mom’s not happy nobody is”?
Typically, the mom is the one to cook meals for the family and if you are a stay at home mom, you help your kids with what activities they do and snacks they eat during the day. With that said, we as mothers, have a lot of influence on the health of our family. So we could change that saying to “if Mom isn’t healthy nobody is.”
(Every family is SO different and yours might be totally different than what I am describing and that is ok).
As a parent we can expose our kids to a healthy lifestyle at a very young age. Whatever my boys see me doing they like to help or join in, from carrying groceries in the house to exercising with me in the front room. Kids naturally are interested in what their parents and others are doing.
I wanted to share some ideas of how we can be a healthy example to our kids. Please, comment below to share other ideas you have
1. Let your kids see you exercise and let them join you– exercise doesn’t always have to be a “okay I am going to exercise now” it can be spontaneous and fun. Take your kids out back or to a park or track and “race”. Kids love to race. What a fun way for you to burn some quick calories 😉. My boys have learned when I am going to exercise they go change their clothes and join me. It is fun (and cute) having my boys trying to exercise like me.
2. Buy healthy food– Are you the grocery shopper? Then you really can pick what food comes into your house. If you don’t buy a bunch of junk food then your family won’t be eating much of it. This is a great opportunity for you to have healthy snacks available for your kids (and yourself). There are many posts on Pinterest of fun healthy food for kids. This and this are some my boys love.
3. Make Healthy Meals and Snacks and let your kids help you prepare them with you– My slow cooker is my best friend. In our house, it gets kind of crazy around dinner time. The days I didn’t throw something in the crockpot I sure wish I did when dinner time rolls around. I can make a healthy dinner in the morning while kids are eating breakfast! It is awesome. Need ideas if healthy meals? Here are a few ideas.
Taco Soup — made in Crockpot
Baked Potatoes– rub potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt then wrap in foil. Place potatoes in crockpot on low about 8 hours and High for about 4 hours. Pierce with a fork to be sure they are soft. Top with chili or taco soup or broccoli and cheese.
Fried Rice– this one is versatile recipe and a family favorite!
Here are some snack ideas:
Toddler finger foods
4. Plan Ahead– This one goes with the last one. Plan your dinners and snacks. If I don’t plan ahead meals or for healthy snacks to have on hand I find myself making a not so healthy dinner or maybe even ordering takeout. And if I don’t have healthy snack easily available them I have a higher tendency to munch on something I may wish I didn’t later. Are you the same way? When I plan ahead then it makes it a lot easier to eat healthier. To get your kids involved, you can ask them what their favorite healthy snacks and meals are. Let them be apart of the planning ahead.
5. Be active as a family– After dinner what does your family do? I love love love going on walks with my family. My boys call them “adventure walks”. We walk to a duck pond close by or around the neighborhood and check out fruit trees and see how much the fruit has grown since our last walk, or we walk to a park. We have awesome trails all over in Utah. Our family loves going on hikes together too. What about a family bike ride? Or Jumping on a Trampoline? Or playing tag? Or make a family obstacle course? There are so many ways to be active as a family.
It can be hard to find a balance. I am not perfect at this at all!! Some days are extra crazy or kids are sick and I might be ordering food or pulling something from the freezer for dinner. Maybe I have been in zombie mode because I had a kid up a lot at night and the last thing I want to do is workout. Those days are going to come no matter how much we plan. Keep going! You are doing great!! Being a Mom can be so hard yet SO rewarding!! I live for those rewarding days!!
Til next time,