Soup? I know it is not fall quite yet, but this is one of my go- to meals. With temperatures started to cool down this is a great healthy meal option. Not to mention this recipe could feed a crowd and everyone would have a happy tummy. This Hearty Taco Soup with Turkey is packed with protein and fiber helping you feel fuller quicker and longer. This recipe comes together really quick. Whenever I through this one together in my slow cooker in the morning, I never regret it in the evening when my family is ready for some dinner. This was one of the first meals I would cook when my husband and I were newly weds (4 and a half years now) and it is still one of my husbands favorites and he requests it quite often. You can’t go wrong with this Hearty Taco Soup with Turkey.
I like to brown 4 pack of ground turkey that I get from Costco. in my slow cooker the day I purchase it. (I will post on that later.. it has been a time saver for me) Then after its all browned I divide them up in different portions that I will need for future meals then pop it in the freezer. I used one of those portions for this meal. There are also a lot of canned foods in this meal. If you are against canned foods then please don’t hesitate to use replacements.
High Protein and Fiber– Hearty Taco Soup
Serves about 8-10 (too many servings?? half it) — this makes great leftovers or lunch the next day!
- 1.25 lbs ground turkey (mine was already browned)
- 3 cans of kidney beans (15oz each) (I like to use both dark and light), drained and rinsed
- 2 cans of corn (14.5oz each– or 2 cups of frozen corn) partially drained
- 2 cans of petite diced tomatoes (14.5oz each) (i used petite diced tomatoes with sweet onion– made it yummy!)
- 1/2 cup diced onion (I skipped this because onion was with my tomatoes)
- 1 can tomato paste 6oz
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
toppings- shredded cheese, low fat sour cream, Fritos
- Brown or thaw browned turkey and place in slow cooker
- place all other ingredients in slow cooker and mix together.
- cook on low for 6-8 hours or high 3-5 hours (every slow cooker is different, just keep an eye out- there was a time I cooked this on low for almost 12 hours because I worked late and it was just fine, still yummy)
- Top with desired toppings
Happy Healthy Eating
I hope you enjoy it as much as my family has.
Like what you see? Follow so you don’t miss a post 🙂
follow on facebook @ Facebook.com/Fitmommyrocks
Check out other posts:
Power Banana Blueberry Muffins
Under 500 Calories– Spinach Hummus Turkey Wraps
Awesome Sweaty Shoulder & Arm Workout
Fruit and Veggie Finger Foods for Toddlers
21 thoughts on “High Protein and Fiber– Hearty Taco Soup with Turkey”